As a part of our mission to share learning about whether multi-stakeholder initiatives are effective tools, MSI Integrity is committed to actively participating in opportunities for public debate and discussion. This includes providing public comments on specific MSIs undergoing public review, through to organizing workshops and engaging in relevant conferences, workshops, and events. This page offers a sampling of the shared learning activities MSI Integrity has contributed.
Please note this list does not include any direct discussions or meetings with stakeholders, MSIs or members.
We are happy to share details about what we discussed or presented at any of these events, and encourage you to contact us directly to learn more.
- March 17-18, 2019: Co-hosting with the Transnational Institute Multistakeholderism and the Risks to Global Democracy: A researcher, CSO and social movement workshop, in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- October 30-November 1, 2018: Presentation on effective grievance mechanisms to the Governance and Oversight Committee at the 41st Board Meeting of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative International Board Meeting, in Dakar, Senegal.
- June 28-29, 2018: 40th Board Meeting of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative International Board Meeting, in Berlin, Germany.
- April 4, 2018: Panel discussion at the International Studies Association annual convention in San Francisco: “Powering Ahead?: Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives and the Future of Global Governance?”
- February 22, 2018: Launch event for the MSI Evaluation Tool and panel discussion on the past and future of MSIsco-sponsored by the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, the Harvard Law School International Human Rights Clinic.
- January 15-18, 2018: Presenter and participant at the Voice Global I3 learning event in the Hague, Netherlands.
- November 22, 2017: Panel discussion at the United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights, in Geneva, Switzerland: “Improving Access to Remedy in Collaborative Approaches: Focus on Business Organisations and Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives.”
- November 30, 2017: Consultative Group meeting to provide feedback to the International Commission of Jurists Expert Panel on Operational Grievance Mechanisms, in Geneva, Switzerland.
- October 25-26, 2017: 38th Board Meeting of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative International Board Meeting, in Manila, Philippines.
- October 24, 2017: Panel discussion on subnational multi-stakeholder initiatives at a conference hosted by Bantay Kita, “Civil Society Dialogue on Current and Emerging Issues Surrounding Extractives” in Manila, Philippines.
- October 5-6, 2017: Panel discussion on MSIs at a conference hosted by the University of Connecticut Business and Human Rights Initiative, “Protecting Rights at the End of the Line: Stakeholder Engagement in Light Manufacturing” in Storrs, Connecticut.
- September 7-8, 2017: 7th Annual meeting of the International Corporate Accountability Roundtable in Washington, DC.
- June 20-21, 2017: Workshop on Understanding Community Experiences of Certified Cocoa Farming and Extractive Site Security to Explore Community Engagement in the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights and UTZ Certified in Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
- April 3-4, 2017: Research Workshop on Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives, Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA – Co-convener with Occidental’s John Parke Young Initiative on the Global Economy and the Harvard Law School Human Rights Program.
- March 8-9, 2017: 36th Board Meeting of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative International Board Meeting, in Bogota, Colombia.
- February 22, 2017: Panel discussion at the International Studies Association annual convention in Baltimore: The Stakes of Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives: Thinking Critically about MSIs as a Tool of Human Rights Governance.
- November 14-16, 2016: Poster presentation on MSI Integrity’s research at the United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights, in Geneva, Switzerland.
- October 26, 2016: Facilitation of a side event panel on EITI’s impact at the 35th EITI Board meeting in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- September 8-9, 2016: 6th Annual meeting of the International Corporate Accountability Roundtable in Washington, DC.
- May 26, 2016: Paper presentation at a workshop co-hosted by MSI Integrity and the Kenan Institute for Ethics at Duke University, “MSIs, Institutional Design, and Institutional Efficacy” in Durham, North Carolina.
- October 29, 2015: Roundtable on the Security, Rights, and Development Roundtable on “Human Rights in Certification Frameworks”, hosted by The Fund for Peace in Washington, DC.
- September 30, 2015: Comment to the Corporate Human Rights Benchmark Draft Indicators public consultation.
- September 2015: Comment to the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative public consultation on the review of the “EITI Validation” process.
- September 10, 2015: 5th Annual meeting of the International Corporate Accountability Roundtable in Washington, DC.
- July 17, 2015: Panel on “Multi-stakeholder initiatives and voluntary codes of conduct” at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Science and Human Rights Coalition Meeting, in Washington, DC.
- April 14-15, 2015: 29th Board Meeting of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative International Board Meeting, in Brazzavile, Republic of Congo and Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- March 24, 2015: Roundtable at Harvard Law School on the findings of MSI Integrity’s “Protecting the Cornerstone” report on multi-stakeholder group governance at the national level in the EITI.
- March 24, 2015: Workshop on “Community Involvement in Business and Human Rights” facilitated by the Human Rights Program at Harvard Law School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- February 24, 2015: Forum on Multi-Stakeholder Engagement, which brought together national and international stakeholders in the governance sphere to reflect on how MSIs in Cameroon may be strengthened, hosted by the World Bank Governance Partnership Facility (GPF)-funded Governance Programme in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
- February 11-12, 2015: Advisory group and conference on “What do we know and where do we go from here? Considering the Evidence Base and Sharing Knowledge on MSI Effectiveness and Impact in the Governance Sector”, hosted by the Transparency and Accountability Initiative in Washington, DC.
- January 15-16, 2015: Panel at a workshop on “Terms of Engagement: How to Better Engage in Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives” at the Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver.
- September 11, 2014: 4th Annual meeting of the International Corporate Accountability Roundtable in Washington, DC.
- July 1-2, 2014: 27th Board Meeting of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, in Mexico City, Mexico.
- June 10-11, 2014: Meeting of the United States EITI Multi-Stakeholder Group, in Washington, DC.
- April 28-30, 2014: Conference on “Increasing the effectiveness of multi-stakeholder initiatives through active collaboration” hosted by Wilton Park, in the United Kingdom.
- March 17-19, 2014: 26th Board Meeting of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, in Oslo, Norway.
- December 2-4, 2013: Panel on Multi-stakeholder initiatives as drivers of good practice of UN Guiding Principles implementation? at the United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights, in Geneva, Switzerland.
- November 18-22, 2013: Kimberley Process Plenary Meeting in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- October 29-30, 2013:Moderator of Panel on “Balancing CSO roles in Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives: watchdog and partner” during the Civil Society Day of the Open Government Partnership Annual Summit, in London, United Kingdom.
- September 12, 2013: 3rd Annual meeting of the International Corporate Accountability Roundtable, in Washington, DC.